Playing Outside & Growing Inside Since 1935
Gwynn Valley, located in Brevard, North Carolina on 400 acres just outside of Pisgah National forest
- Brevard, North Carolina
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Mar 15, 2022)
Gwynn Valley is a co-ed residential summer camp located just outside of Brevard, North Carolina. We offer a farm, wilderness and traditional program that nurtures each camper while fostering a connection with the land and the simple joys of childhood. Gwynn Valley is a child-centered world where each camper learns and grows under the guidance of a mature and caring staff.
- We hire creative, fun, inspiring individuals who are passionate about working with children and have strong character and leadership skills.
- Our overall camper-to-staff ratio is 3 to 1.
- About 60% of our staff return every summer, and the rest are here for the first time. We love the enthusiasm, creative ideas, and fresh perspectives new staff always bring to our community!
- About 30% of our staff are international, coming from countries such as Scotland, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, The Netherlands, South Africa, Poland, Russia, and others.
About the Position
Maintenance Staff/Grounds Crew work as a team to keep camp functioning smoothly and looking beautiful. Maintenance staff/grounds crew roles include mowing, weed eating, minor cabin repairs, splitting wood, managing trash and recycling around camp, feeding animals at the farm, planting vegetables, and other task involving farm upkeep.
- Ability to receive information, organize, and disseminate it
- Ability to see challenges and solve with creative solutions
- Ability to work in various environments as need dictates
- Embraces and represents Gwynn Valley's values and mission
- Comfortable in the out-of-doors, content to live in rustic cabins with limited access to electronics
- Good moral character, honest, caring, flexible, hard-working, and non-smoker
- Able to handle the physical demands of the job to include long hours and active days
- Independently mobile on mountain terrain
- Able to lift 50 pounds
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: To be a part of a smooth and efficient maintenance team – grounds and maintenance.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist with the care of grounds; mowing/weed eating/gardens etc.
- Assist with maintenance issues as they arise
- Assist with duties at the Farm including haymaking, etc.
- Assist with wood splitting when required
- Be responsible for equipment/maintenance
- Assist with stoking wood burners when required
- Assist with Luggage on Opening and Closing Day as well as Packing Day
- Assist with meeting and greeting Opening and Closing Day – early arrivals
- Assist with Trash/cleanliness of the overall camp
Other Job Duties:
- Participate enthusiastically in camp activities
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team
- Serve as positive Gwynn Valley representative during time away from camp
- Other duties as required
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess the strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers if asked.
- Physical endurance to walk/hike long distances and engage in activities requiring prolonged standing, bending, stooping, eye-hand coordination, & manual dexterity to manipulate equipment
- Normal range of hearing and eyesight to complete appropriate tasks given by Maintenance manager
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Willing to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours with basic equipment and primitive facilities
- Withstand daily exposure to sun, heat, and cool night temperatures
- Comfort with exposure to animals, insects, and reptiles
- In the presence of campers, ability and willingness to eat food provided by the camp kitchen