Horizons is hiring a Full Time, Year Round Outdoor Learning Center Director!
15 minutes from Downtown Harrisonburg, 2 hours from Washington DC and Richmond!
- Harrisonburg, Virginia
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
JOB SUMMARY: The director position works independently and with the OLC Associate Directors to analyze program needs and develop, implement, and coordinate the delivery of a wide variety of programs at various locations. These locations will include Horizons Outdoor Learning Center at Camp Horizons, and the Sheridan Mountain Campus, Horizons Hospitality at the Mountain Valley Meeting and Retreat Center, Horizons Edge Sports Campus, and Camp Horizons summer Adventure Program.
- Manages operations of the Outdoor Learning Center
- Develops and manages Outdoor Learning Center budget
- Oversees hiring, training, and coaching of outdoor staff
- Provides oversight and direction to OLC staff
- Serves as primary contact for client groups
- Responsible for successful execution of activities and programs at multiple locations
- Develops program curriculum for all outdoor programs.
- Maintains program areas in an organized manner and according to camp cleanliness and safety guidelines
- Coordinate and or host staff training for the outdoor staff to including in house training and training involving 3rd party vendors/consultants
- Manages and coordinates program communications via phone, email, social media, and in person as required.
- Schedules, coordinates and documents regular inspections of all ropes courses and gear
- Manages and coordinates all onsite equipment and repairs and assist with determining financial responsibility for lost or damaged gear
- Transports activity participants and or supplies as needed
- Facilitates safety training and instruction in proper use of equipment and program procedures and collect all training documentation
- Coordinates staff and program schedules to ensure adequate staffing and desired program outcomes
- Attends weekly staff and senior leadership meetings as needed
- Maintains a positive attitude and open communication with Associate Directors, your staff, and co-workers
- Coordinates procurement for various areas of operations including OLC program needs, Camp Outdoor program needs, and Sports program supplies
- Provides oversight to group and conference activities including event set up and tear down. hosting, parking, supporting other departments as needed
- Provides oversight to Horizons’ support staff to including hosts, group and conference support staff and summer seasonal utility personnel
- Desire and willingness to work in a natural camp setting in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to work irregular hours
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong listening skills, detail oriented and the ability to multi-task
- Discretion regarding confidential information
- Creative thinker; able to quickly find positive alternatives when scheduled activities are interrupted
- Experience working with children preferred
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field preferred
- 3+ years' experience teaching/working with children and leading outdoor adventure or environmental education programs
- Documented experience in a supervisory role
- Valid Driver's License and ability to obtain a CDL
- Certifications in First Aid and CPR required by the start date
- Wilderness First Responder certification required prior to summer session
How to Apply
Apply online using link below!