Brew coffee & serve visitors from around the world, right on the waterfront in Friday Harbor!
Stunning water & island views with the chance to see whales from the shop!
- Friday Harbor, Washington
- $15.00 / hour + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Mar 21, 2022)
Riptide Café was opened in 2016 to provide quality coffee to the island community and guests of San Juan Safaris, a tour company providing high quality whale watching and wildlife tours. Riptide Café is a seasonal café that operates out of our waterfront San Juan Safaris office in Friday Harbor, WA. Riptide café serves Stumptown Coffee as well as fruit smoothies, with a limited food menu.
Riptide Cafe is owned and operated by the same owner as San Juan Safaris and San Juan Island Outfitters. We strive to create a team environment for our staff in hopes of having a memorable summer experience. Our staff members depend on each other to support each job function. Because of the size of our company and the work environment we have created, we are more like a big extended family.
Seeking an enthusiastic and customer service-oriented barista. Tasks include making coffee and food items, effective time management, customer service and ensuring the highest quality of beverage is served.
Meet customers from around the world as they travel through the small tourist town of Friday Harbor. Engage with locals coming in for their favorite cup of coffee and conversation. With waterfront seating, the view from Riptide Café can’t be beat. Enjoy making coffee with Stumptown beans, a NW local and quality coffee roaster.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Prepare and serve food and beverage to highest standard
- Maintaining a clean and orderly workspace
- Receive and process payments
- Provide exceptional customer service Qualifications & Skills:
Minimum Qualifications & Skills:
- Customer service experience
- High attention to detail
- Engaging and outgoing personality
- Ability to adapt/respond to different types of characters
- Excellent communication
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- Barista experience on La Marzocco or manual espresso machine
- Barista or relevant experience
- Washington Food Handlers Card
Training: There will be comprehensive paid training shifts with our manager on the espresso machine, recipes, processes, and procedures.
- San Juan Island - San Juan Island is one of the few places in the world where you can see killer whales on a regular basis. Enjoy living on an island where you get the chance to view orcas from shore and join whale watch tours and kayak tours. The islands are beautiful and lend themselves to biking, hiking, birding, boating and kayaking. There is also easy access to mainland Washington and Canada. Enjoy a summer exploring the islands and all the PNW has to offer.
- As a member of the San Juan Outfitters Umbrella, Riptide Café employees have the same perks as our seasonal guides such as:
- Pro Purchasing - Employees can apply for discounts on industry gear from top outdoor brands.
- Family & Friends Policy - Family and friends of employees can join tours at a discounted rate or for free depending on the tour and space availability.
- Equipment Use & Tour Participation - Employees have the opportunity to join any day tour for free on a space available basis throughout the duration of their employment. Employees are also able to use equipment on their own such as SUPs, sit-on-top kayaks, and sea kayaks with the necessary training.
Housing: Riptide Café Staff are required to live on San Juan Island during the tenure of their employment. Staff are required to find their own housing though Riptide Café will assist if needed by either renting a room to the employee in the company’s employee housing complexes or assisting in the process of finding a seasonal rental. Riptide Café is dedicated to ensuring each seasonal staff member has a quality living situation during the duration of their employment.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and three references to Cafe Manager, Erinn Freeman at email@example.com. Hiring typically takes place at the end of February/beginning of March for the coming season. Resumes and references are accepted year-round.
Riptide Café is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, veteran or disability status, or genetic information.